04 Aug Chai Sweet Chili Chicken Flatbread #IsabelsBirthdayBash
As I write this post today to share my new recipe for this flatbread pizza, I do so with great enthusiasm and joy because this recipe post is dedicated to my dear friend and founder of the Sunday Supper Movement, Isabel Reis Laessig. Our community of food bloggers decided to throw a SURPRISE virtual birthday celebration in which we all share a recipe post on behalf of Isabel to show her how much she is loved and appreciated. I can’t think of anyone more deserving, and I hope Isabel gets a huge kick and enjoys an exceptionally fun birthday this year as a result of this surprise!
The timing on this couldn’t have been more perfect, having just returned from the 2015 Food & Wine Conference this July. At said event, (it was my first time attending,) I finally got to meet in person Isabel and so many members of the #SundaySupper family with whom I’ve become friends and a fan as well. One special person in particular, Michelle Northrup, of Saucy Queen sauces at the Intensity Academy Gourmet Sauces Company was generous enough to provide fellow bloggers with samples of her sauces at the conference this year. Michelle’s Chai Sweet Chili sauce was the inspiration for this dish and I’m so grateful to her and so impressed with the product that I plan to try all of her varieties in the near future!
If you know Isabel, aka, @familyfoodie, you know that she has a “thing” for flatbreads. If you go to her website there are a few choices listed on her blog; she’s made them a time or two during her years of cooking for her family and friends. In fact, one of my favorites listed on her blog is her Beef and Avocado Flatbread, because I look forward to preparing this beef delight using some of my winnings/gifts from Certified Angus Beef at the Food & Wine Conference! With that in mind and until I receive my package of beef, I decided to do a flatbread in her honor using ingredients I had on hand. Isabel is a free spirit and loves to get creative in the kitchen, and so do I! This Chai Sweet Chili Chicken Flatbread combines the spice of chili sauce with the sweetness of grapes, and orange bell pepper, shallots, baby bella mushrooms, wilted Romaine, and zesty light Feta cheese. It’s topped with a pomegranate balsamic vinegar reduction and alfalfa sprouts (optional). The combination is indeed lovely! Happy Birthday, Isabel!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this delicious flatbread:
1 pkg Naan bread from the bakery section of your market (5 breads)
olive oil for brushing on bread
sea salt and pepper to season
5 T Parmesan cheese
1 lg or 2 small/med grilled chicken breasts, shredded (You can totally go rotisserie here!)
¼ – 1/3 c Chai Sweet Chili Sauce
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large shallot, sliced thin
1 orange for yellow bell pepper, cut in ¼ chunks
1 ½ c sliced baby bella mushrooms
1 T olive oil
½ t sea salt
¼ t cracked pepper
1 ½ c seedless grape halves
½ head Romaine lettuce seasoned lightly with salt and pepper and drizzled with olive oil
2/3 c mozzarella cheese, shredded
5 T light Feta cheese
5 t Pomegranate Balsamic vinegar
handful alfalfa sprouts
Preheat oven to 425 F.
Brush the tops of Naan with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread garlic evenly on each bread. Sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese.
Place in oven on sheet trays or stones for 6 minutes. Remove from oven and rest.
Toss shredded chicken in the sauce. Set aside.
Heat oil in large skillet and sauté shallot, pepper, and mushrooms until tender about 3 minutes. Remove to a plate and set aside.
Place the Romaine into the same hot skillet and let sit to sear for 2 minutes. Turn gradually to get sears all around. When it has dark char on all sides, remove to a cutting board and cut into ½ inch strips.
To assemble, begin by scattering around the chicken evenly per bread. Follow with vegetable mixture, lettuce and the grapes. Top with mozzarella and place in the oven for 10-12 minutes until golden and bubbly.
Scatter on the Feta and drizzle on the balsamic. Follow with a little alfalfa sprouts.
Remove to cutting board, slice and serve.
- 1 pkg Naan bread from the bakery section of your market (5 breads)
- olive oil for brushing on bread
- sea salt and pepper to season
- 5 T Parmesan cheese
- 1 lg or 2 small/med grilled chicken breasts, shredded (You can totally go rotisserie here!)
- ¼ - ⅓ c Chai Sweet Chili Sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large shallot, sliced thin
- 1 orange for yellow bell pepper, cut in ¼ chunks
- 1 ½ c sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 T olive oil
- ½ t sea salt
- ¼ t cracked pepper
- 1 ½ c seedless grape halves
- ½ head Romaine lettuce seasoned lightly with salt and pepper and drizzled with olive oil
- ⅔ c mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 5 T light Feta cheese
- 5 t Pomegranate Balsamic vinegar
- handful alfalfa sprouts
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Brush the tops of Naan with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread garlic evenly on each bread.
- Place in oven on sheet trays or stones for 6 minutes. Remove from oven and rest.
- Toss shredded chicken in the sauce. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet and sauté shallot, pepper, and mushrooms until tender about 3 minutes. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Place the Romaine into the same hot skillet and let sit to sear for 2 minutes. Turn gradually to get sears all around. When it has dark char on all sides, remove to a cutting board and cut into ½ inch strips.
- To assemble, begin by scattering around the chicken evenly per bread. Follow with vegetable mixture, lettuce and the grapes. Top with mozzarella and place in the oven for 10-12 minutes until golden and bubbly.
- Remove to cutting board, slice and serve with a sprinkling of light Feta, alfalfa sprouts, and a drizzle of balsamic.
Here are the many wonderful recipe contributions that complete this birthday celebration! And a HUGE thank you to Terri Truscello Miller for arranging this virtual SURPRISE party for Isabel! Enjoy!
Join me in celebrating Isabel’s Birthday with all the delicious food and drinks her #SundaySupper family prepared!
- Birthday Cake Cocktails by Daily Dish Recipes
- Blueberry Lavender Mojitos by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Caipirinha Colada by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventure
- Fig-Bourbon Fizz by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Mocha Martini by Desserts Required
- Mocha Mudslide by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Plum and Thyme Champagne Cocktail by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Summer Fizzies by Momma’s Meals
- 2-Ingredient Deviled Eggs by Shockingly Delicious
- Apple and Chorizo Crostini with Shallots and Basil by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Buffalo Chicken Wontons by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Burrata Caprese Crostini with Proscuitto by The Crumby Cupcake
- Chorizo and Kimchi Potato Pancakes from kimchi MOM
- Cotija and Roasted Corn Guacamole by Simply Healthy Family
- Gluten Free Basil Tomato Flatbread by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Salt Cod Fritters by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Chai Sweet Chili Chicken Flatbread by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Chorizo Eggs Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Espetada (Portuguese Beef Skewers) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Grilled Salmon Rice Salad by Magnolia Days
- Sofrito Marinated Beef Skewers by Nik Snacks
- Steak with Red Wine Reduction and Blue Cheese by The Weekend Gourmet
- Angel Food Cake by Feeding Big
- Birthday Blondies by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake with Buttercream Icing by Whole Food | Real Families
- Chocolate Doughnuts with White and Chocolate Glaze by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- French Vanilla Eclair Cake by Love and Confections
- Homemade No-Churn Nutella Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cheesecake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Italian Cream Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Japanese Cherry Blossom Brownies and 10 Tips on How-To Get Drunk With Happiness by NinjaBaker
- Mint Chocolate Cream Pie by gotta get baked
- Pink Lemonade Cookies by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Queijadas de Sintra by Food Lust People Love
- Red Currant Cheesecake Ice Cream by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Summer Peach Cake by The Wimpy Vegetarian